Thursday 19 January 2012

Fondue

Being a child of the late 70's I was fortunate to be spared the horrors of Abigail's Party type shenanigans at home.  Not for me the uncomfortable nights trying to get to sleep, while my parents entertained Sir from the office and his gaudy wife, all drinking home made cocktails from a tiki bar in the corner of the living room.

This also means that I was spared the cheesy* fondue party.  For some reason fondue does have a bad reputation.  I don't know if it's purely because all food fads, once passed by, are seen as naff.  It could be that any meal that needs its own specific cooking and eating accoutrements just doesn't take off.  Who knows.

I had my first fondue a couple of years ago.  My in-law's happen to have a kitchen full of weird food gadgetry and decided that they hadn't used their fondue set since the first time they had used it many moons before.  An old recipe card was still with the box but unfortunately the amounts of cheese and booze didn't translate, so we ended up with hot cheesy white wine to dunk our bread into.  I'm happy to say that the fondue has since been re-visited and with much better results.

Tonight I'm having fondue at Homage 2 Fromage, Leeds' very own cheese club.  Since it launched last year I have managed not to make it to any of their cheese tasting evenings, instead carrying out on-line taste-alongs here and on twitter.


Tonight's event was hosted at Primo's Gourmet Hotdogs.  Although excited at getting to attend, I will admit to being a tad nervous at meeting people in the flesh, that I've been chatting with for months on social networking sites.  I needn't have worried though as the attendees at Cheese Club were all really nice.  I'm already looking forward to the next event.

NB. The first rule of Cheese Club is talk about Cheese Club.

*take that however you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment