Tuesday 17 April 2012

Hoisin Chicken with Mange Tout

You may have read yesterday, that over the weekend I saved a mass of mange tout from the vegetable graveyard at my local supermarket.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with the produce, I can only assume that it had passed its sell by date.  I don't normally buy mange tout, not because I don't like it but because it always seems to be airfreighted into the UK from Peru or Kenya.   Mange tout grows very well in Britain.  I know this to be true as I've grown it myself.  I would rather eat local seasonal produce but I don't like seeing good food go to waste.  Either way, I have found myself with a glut of veg.

We needed to start eating our way through the mange tout mountain so I decided upon a stir fry.  But I knew that if I added it to a pan with other ingredients I wouldn't even make a dent in our over supply.  So I kept the mange tout out of the frying pan and cooked it separately as a side dish.


The chicken was stir fried with red onion and a pepper before hoisin sauce was added and stirred through.  The mange tout was blanched and then reheated with oyster and garlic sauce.  We served both alongside some pain boiled rice.  We still have a lot of mange tout!

No comments:

Post a Comment