Sunday 29 April 2012

Rocket Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce

Today it rained.  It seamed to rain from the moment we woke up until long after I finished writing this post.  I know that we need the rain and that parts of the country are still technically in drought but surely enough is enough.  I normally don't mind the rain.  I quite like walking in the rain.  I used to love playing rugby in the rain.  But having to entertain the boy all day because we couldn't go outside has been tough.

I decided that there was no time like the present to start his food journey, so this afternoon we made gnocchi.  To R, this was nothing more than playdough and flour play, but his joy at putting boiled potatoes into the ricer and watching the wriggly worms of potato come out of the bottom was lovely.

 

To the pile of potato we added flour, an egg and a big handful of finely chopped rocket.  The dough was then rolled into a big snake and cut into what I thought would be perfect gnocchi size dumplings.  They were then put in the fridge until we needed them, apart from the one that R decided was his and needed hitting with a big spoon.


When needed the gnocchi were plunged into boiling water and cooked until they floated.  If I'm honest they were a little on the large size but they still tasted better than any you can buy in the shop.  I served them with a tomato sauce and more rocket.  I doubt R will remember the first time that he made gnocchi from scratch, but I hope that he'll eventually remember that he likes them so much that they become a family favourite.

1 comment: