Saturday 23 June 2012

Mezze

It's the weekend! I have been looking forward to these couple of days.  I have had the longest of long weeks at work and, quite frankly, I was amazed that I managed to get out of bed at all this morning.  But, get out of bed I did, driven by the promise of waffles and coffee.  I was on toddler wrangling duty this morning, while Z want for a haircut, so I did what all self respecting food obsessed parents would do.  I kept R playing until he was ready for a nap, quickly strapped him into his buggy and went shopping.

Our destination was Kirkgate Market and I had a long shopping list as we were having guests for dinner.  Z and I had ummed and erred about what to cook for them.  Kato is vegetarian while Si, her other half, is a dyed in the wool meat eater.  We decided to cook mainly vegetarian but with a separate meat dish so that nobody would feel left out.  A mezze was our solution and a lot of cooking ensued.


On the menu was; houmous, baba ganoush, carrot and carraway dip served with feta and a big pile of pitta bread as a starter.  We then cooked falafel, lamb kofta, fried haloumi, dolmades* and made a huge Jordanian rocket salad.  We ate well into the wee hours but the week finally caught up with me and our guests and so we called it a night. 

Edit: As per usual, we had prepared so much food that we we couldn't eat it all.  The leftovers became Sunday night's meal so there will not be a post for 24th June 2012.

*I had planned to make the dolmades from scratch but, having turned Leeds upside down looking for vine leaves and finally finding them, I didn't have enough time.  We had shop bought dolmades but I will come back to them at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment