Wednesday 8 August 2012

Olympic Food Challenge: Uzbekistan - Kovurma Palov (mutton pilaf)

Tonight's instalment of the Olympic food Challenge comes from Uzbekistan.  The Uzbek team is 32 strong and they have medalled*, with a bronze in Judo.  That said, it's quite a poor show from their athletes, as they have walked away with a good handful of medals in the last two Olympics.

When faced with the issue of what to eat from Uzbekistan I seemed to have little choice.  The food of Uzbekistan is varied but the pilaf rules the roost.  I decided upon Kovurma Palov (mutton pilaf) for tonight's meal, mainly because we haven't had any mutton for a long time and I really like mutton.


I used the recipe as a guide but changed the quantities dramatically, there are only two of us after all.  However, I should have made a better stab at the spice quantities.  The finished pilaf was great but could have taken a bit more punch from the seasoning.  Will we be returning to Uzbekistan in the future?  Yes, I think we will.  This slow cook method for a rice dish was good, especially if you are feeding a large crowd.

*For the record, I am one of those people that can't stand medal or podium being used as a verb!

No comments:

Post a Comment